Contemplative Politics

I began writing this blog 2 1/2 years ago...what can only be described as several lifetimes ago, from the perspective of the events that have transpired in my life since May of 2010.   I won't take the time to recount those events, but suffice to say, I never imagined that I would use this space to contemplate politics, or the place that our political perspectives may take on the path of our individual spiritual journeys...

To rightly share my story, I must go back in time to January of 2008, when I, like many Americans, first heard then-candidate Senator Barack Obama speak after his groundbreaking win in the Iowa caucus.  I remember the experience quite vividly, because I was mesmorized by the ideal he seemed to represent.  As I sat in a theater this afternoon watching the Dinesh D'Souza political documentary "2016", I was struck by the fact that much of our political consciousness is defined by what each of us projects upon the candidate of our choice.

You might wonder, "What in the world is she talking about?"  Project on the candidate?  Yes. That.  People vote for a candidate for many reasons, but among those, I believe, is our tendency to project upon candidates that which we wish them to be and represent. 

For many, and I count myself in this group, candidate Barack Obama represented a kind of hope that was needed in 2008...a kind of change in the political process that I still believe was desperately needed.   We were, by then, 7 years out from the tragedy of 9/11, fully 6 years into a series of wars and military interventions that seemed to have no end in sight.  And...for many of us...Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike, we were tired of it all. We truly wanted change, in the best way that you can want it.

I can't help but wonder tonight though, if our projections of a happier, more peaceful world through the Hope and Change campaign of Obama...were just that...projections...rather than reality.

Can any of us, with intellectual honesty, say that the political discourse has become more civil since President Obama took office? More high-minded?  More focused on solving the most substantive issues that face our country?

I heard once, from an entirely non-political speaker, that if you look at the condition of your personal finances, and find that they are in shambles...you will likely find that the other areas of your personal life...physical health, spiritual health, educational health...may be likewise in a mess.  The objectivity of your bank account is quite often a mirror to how well you're managing your life in general. I am certain this is not always the case, because many events collide to create the condition of our finances from year to year.  And yet, the principle is challenging, and in my own experience, it proved to be quite accurate.

Words are different than numbers, particularly in the hands or voice of a skilled communicator.   A skilled communicator can persuade with words....words can be used to paint a picture...any picture really...and they can be used to manipulate and reframe the hearers perception of reality.  But numbers...they just are.   Unless you actually CHANGE the numbers, it's very hard to manipulate what numbers say.

When it comes to numbers, and the fine art of accounting, it's different. 

In less than 70 days, Americans will choose our next President.   I find that I am shocked as I type this...70 days!  We are all busy...school is starting...football season...work...church..."fill in the blank" of whatever you have on your personal life agenda.  Once every 4 years, we make a profound choice about who will lead us as a country.  Have you read anything yet?  Have you been listening? It's time to do our homework, and to be prepared, whatever our individual conviction, to participate in the government that is of the people, for the people, and by the people...

Personally, I believe that we had better get very, very serious about understanding the numbers of our country's financial health.  Debt is a serious thing.  I know.  About ten years ago, mostly of my own doing, I was in such a position of personal debt that I had to seriously contemplate filing for bankruptcy.  For various reasons, many of them flowing from the principles taught to me by my parents, I did not file for bankruptcy.  Instead, I took the advice of financial planners and read books on how to get out of debt...and then I did what they said to do. Slowly, but surely, I retired more than $100,000 in consumer debt as a single, working woman.   I learned a lesson from that experience that changed me forever when it comes to debt - debt is slavery.  When you are in debt, you serve those who you are indebted to.

This principle doesn't just apply to individuals, to couples, and to business owners.  This principle applies to the United States of America.  If we think that our unemployed, our uninsured, our seniors, and our poor will be well served by government leadership that continues to spend money that our country does not have, we are gravely mistaken.  

Financial health may seem a very "unspiritual" consideration when you choose who to vote for on November 6, 2012, but the more I contemplate the notion of the United States as a nation enslaved to a seemingly insurmountable debt that grows daily at an astronomical rate of speed, the more I realize how very spiritual it is to look at the numbers.   As I write this tonight, the debt of the U.S. government is just under $16 trillion...I wanted to paste a copy of the debt clock to this blog, but the numbers are moving so fast, you cannot paste a picture of it.  The numbers just continue to move upward at a staggeringly fast pace.  And the $16 trillion...what does it really tell us? It tells us that our country has become enslaved...and none of us really understand what that enslavement might ultimately mean for us as individuals, but we better find it within ourselves to care what it means.  And to change it.

I will leave you with this - since 2007, Americans have lost more than 40% of their accumulated wealth - across the board.  This is by far the greatest loss of wealth among the people of our country since The Great Depression.   Where are we headed as a country?  And is that where we want to go?

Comments

  1. Great Blog Susie. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog entry, Susie. Thanks for your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    Thanks for taking time to express your thoughts on such important matters. I wonder if someone is sending a message to the Republicans running that many will be voting for them on the basis of economy. But it will be with certain regrets because many do NOT want to support the right wing religious agenda. I love church and believe in God, everyone's God. But I am not a religious conservative and I dearly wish that our politicians could lead and govern without attempting to make religion and conservative values part of the platform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, well said.
    One of the hardest things I EVER did was NOT vote for Pres. Obama. I lived through the rides in the back of the bus, the separate water fountains, etc The "ideal" of having a Black President who would CHANGE the rhetoric from Washington was VERY tempting. But several things he said when running for President stopped me for voting for him. and I cried. I knew that I may NEVER have that opportunity again. But with my eyes wide open, I will NOT vote for him again. Although I am conservative, both financially and socially, I am voting against what he stands for, and not just him, but those who put him in office. They forgot that voters may naively give our vote away the first time. But when we begin to wake up, we feel a seething anger that will cause us to change our minds, party and anything that shows that we want real CHANGE! and one day, we will have other candidates, some Black, Hispanic, Asian, White, Indian, etc who will also have values and common sense and decency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing - everyone. Dorothy - wow. You always have such great insights - I can only begin to imagine what it was like for you to have made the decision to not vote for Pres Obama, based on our country's history, and your personal experiences. Very inspiring to read this morning - thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your post, Susie. I read it even though very pushed for time because I wanted to see what "moved" my thoughtful friend to reconsider her support for the current leadership. Although I too "like" Obama personally, and believe that he is genuinely doing his best, I disagree with his views of what government should look like right now in this country. You are so right about the "purse" being an overall moral gauge; so also is the "calendar," I believe. Look closely at how the people of our nation, political leaders included, spend the majority of their time (and their primary topics of conversation.)

    I have not seen the movie, but I heard Dinesh D'Souza speak here at SFASU a couple of years ago. Several university faculty members walked out of the room, as his strong opinions they could not "tolerate," I suppose.

    I strongly believe that our politically sluggish thinking needs a "double-shot" of caffeine.We must look to history beyond popular rhetoric, and get to WORK. Else we're going to be like Greece, or sub-Saharan Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Linda - thanks for taking the time to read and share your perspective. I know that you and Greg are very involved and very much students of what goes on in government. I appreciate your commitment to the process and your well-thought out convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

Undertow