Contemplating the GOP Candidates: Debate #1

GOP Debate: August 6, 2015


What a fascinating cast of characters we find ourselves with as GOP candidates for President in 2016.  I say that we no disrespect or sarcasm, because it is indeed a fascinating group of people. I have always found politics interesting, and when I say 'always,' I mean my first memory of watching a political convention was 1968, and I was 7 years old at the time.
 
With that revelation, I must confess my continued fascination with all things political. I am a student of behavior, motivation, philosophy, personal and professional success, and theology.  In politics, it is as if they all come together in a wild Tasmanian perfect storm.
 
So far today, the one person who has made the most favorable impression on me? Carly Fiorina.  Interesting, since she was in the early debate and barely registers on the poll numbers.  Her command of the facts across all topics discussed, and her capacity to succinctly respond on point was truly impressive.  Hard to envision someone in her current position at the back of the pack moving forward to earn the nomination, but wow, she would absolutely clean Hillary's clock in a debate.  I would almost feel sorry for Clinton, because it wouldn't even be a fair fight.
 
As for the Prime Time debate crew, I'm pretty lukewarm so far. It could be because there are so many of them, and it's inherently difficult to get very deep into any one person's perspectives on the matters at hand.  So far I've found Marco Rubio to be impressive as a communicator.  Donald Trump, to my way of evaluating a Presidential Debate performance, has taken some knocks and I anticipate he'll take a hit in the poll numbers he's enjoyed to date.
 
On the topic of Jeb, more than any political observation or critique of his possessions, I find it slightly unnerving that so many of his mannerisms and manners of speaking are like a George W. redux.  Just sayin...the reminder is unavoidable.
 
Rand Paul?  I don't think he has helped himself much. Chris Christie?  Same conclusion, but for slightly different reasons.  John Kasich has done a lot of great things during his tenure as Governor of Ohio, so it seems I should be more impressed with him.  However, there is just something about him that I don't really like much.
 
Governor Huckabee?  Nice guy.  Good communicator, as far as it goes; but, absolutely not going anywhere as a candidate.
 
A month or so back, I thought Dr. Ben Carson had no chance to even been in this group of 10, but there he is.  I suppose we shouldn't be shocked that a renowned neurosurgeon would comport himself as well as he does.  I sincerely like a lot of the positions he has taken, and find it very interesting that he has had staying power to this point.
 
Okay - Kasich just had a very strong moment here.  Excellent points on growing the economy and making sure that people who struggle are also taken care of and brought along to benefit from our national success.
 
I've left out Governor Scott Walker - I have liked what I've seen of him in recent weeks and months, but he does seem overshadowed somehow in this group tonight.  Even though I'm sure they're being studious to divide the questions equally to the participants, I can't remember the content of anything Walker has said.  I'll be fascinated to see where he goes in the polls after tonight.
 
If they changed the tax code and made it simpler, does anyone have any idea whether that would put the entire universe of CPAs out of work? I'm just curious.
 
Here comes Governor Walker. Let's see how he does...hmmm...no sizzle there...at least not yet.
 
71% of Federal budget is taken up by entitlements and debt service??????? Oh my gosh.  What is the matter with the people of this country that we don't "get" what this means? It is unsustainable.  If nothing else, thank you to Governor Christie for reminding us of this startling and critically important financial fact.
 
I've gotta say I agree 100% with Huckabee on how the political class is lying and stealing from the American people to pad their own salaries, benefits and pensions. It is outrageous, and the only feasible solution I see is term limits.  As long as serving in government is seen as a lucrative career option, we will always have lifetime politicians. We need to make it LESS attractive to stay there forever.  The Founders never envisioned a government run by a permanent ruling class.  If we really had public service, people would serve for a time, and then go back home and work in the private sector.
 
Trump makes a bit of a comeback there, in my opinion, as there is no question about the fact our political leadership can manage their way out of a brown bag when it comes to budgets and debt. I don't know that Trump would ever have the ability to earn the nomination, but in much the same way I felt we needed Romney's financial expertise, goodness knows we need someone in Washington that will take the debt seriously and know what to do about it.
 
The Iran Deal...
Walker?  Bleh...
Paul?  Bleh...
Huckabee?  Talking points, but nothing compelling in my view.
 
Did I miss something? Awkward transition from Iran to abortion.
 
From Trump to Jeb...such a contrast.  I like Jeb, actually, but I cannot envision the people of this country electing a third person from the same family.  Right or wrong, I just can't see it.  I'm sure I have quite a number of friends who may read this blog and are avid Bush haters. Please don't waste good air and energy leaving bashing comments.  My blogging this evening is not so much about taking a political side as it is about observing the process.  Let's keep it friendly!
 
Foreign Policy section should be interesting...
 
Seems Iran is already spitting in the face of the United States with that militant guy traveling to Russia today. What else is new?  I never cease to be amazed by the feckless leadership currently in place. It is jaw dropping and I don't understand why 100% of the American population doesn't see it.  Maybe we've just become too busy to care.  Experts say we get the leadership that we deserve, based on our own choices (or lack of choices) in every election.  This is true, I think, and points the finger of responsibility directly back on each one of us.
 
Oh yeah...totally forgot about Ted Cruz.  I think that sums up my assessment of his impact tonight.
 
Ben Carson is impressive to me.  He has a certain gravitas and manner of speaking, though soft-spoken, that is still compelling.
 
Allow me an indulgence to insert a comment when it comes to Russian attempts to destabilize the region around them - eschatology.  Not a familiar term?  Google it.
 
Walker's line about Clinton's email server was a good one. Probably true, unfortunately.
 
Whatever you think about God and Christianity, for a person to run for political office, certainly the Presidency, and speak in public about their personal faith...it takes courage.  I suppose some are not sincere, but who are we to try and discern the heart and soul of another person? Some people, regardless of their professed faith, would never stand on a stage of this size and claim that faith.
 
Closing statements...
 
Kasich's personal list of accomplishments always leaves me a bit cold. Quite simply, it comes across to me as self-congratulatory. 
 
Christie's stuff is okay, but sort of rambling...
 
Paul is impressive to me, obviously a pretty brilliant guy.  He won't be the candidate.
 
Rubio intrigues me, but I don't think this time for him. Maybe in the future though, I could see it.
 
Cruz does strike me as an honest guy, but I hate to admit it, I find it very hard to see any politician at this level as honest.
 
Dr. Carson has a clever response with the separation of Siamese twins and removing half a brain.
Hilarious.  Freedom fighters unite.
 
Huckabee comes next with his folksy charm and sharp jab to Hillary.
 
Walker has a good nickname: Aggressively Normal.  I like it. Somehow I sense a missing depth there, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
 
Bush...JEB! Oh Jeb...I don't think so.
 
Trump.  We're losing.  Elect me and we will WIN again.  So interesting, almost follows a track of USA, USA, USA! at the Olympics.
 
Let the spinning begin!  I'll be so fascinated by the focus groups. Always my favorite part of these debates. What do the people at large think?  Did my impressions line up with what comes out of the focus groups? I love to learn about how other people perceive and hear things.
 
That's it for tonight's contemplation! Thanks for reading.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...