A better "Yes!"




A couple of weeks ago, I was in a meeting where folks were talking about how to handle those moments in life when the answer is "no."




The "no" might be about a new job, a raise, a relationship, an answer to your prayers, physical healing from illness...or anything that might be meaningful to you. "No" can be a very difficult word to hear, especially if the subject involved is something of deep importance to you.




How do you handle the "no"s in your life? If we were to ask my parents (let's don't)...I'm afraid they would confirm what I already know about myself, which is that I don't usually handle "No" very well. I don't "roll over" easily when someone tells me "no." In certain situations, this can be a terrific character trait...other times...not so much.




So...back to the discussion group...a guy was talking about the loss of a relationship in his life, and how poorly he handled his grief...how he lived in the past, and beat himself up for his own failings in the situation. Not too long after he shared, a woman made this comment:




"I've come to learn that beyond every 'no', God has a better "Yes!'"




I've been noodling this simple statement around in my head for at least 2 weeks now, maybe 3...and I think it's true. The problem, for me at least, is that I cannot see the better "yes" when I'm focused on the "no." As Brian McLaren says in one of his lectures, "What you're looking at determines what you miss."




What are you looking at today? The "no"? If you're looking at the No's in your life...take heed! You might miss the "Yes" that's just around the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...