Josh Comes Home to Texas?

Recent articles in several papers indicate that a deal is done, or close to done...to bring Josh Hamilton back to the Texas Rangers.

Just a few days ago, I was on a tour of the Louisville Slugger Factory in Louisville, Kentucky, listening to the tour guide talk about the unique qualities of Josh's bat. Internally, I had thoughts that were more filled with disgust than compassion.  What a waste, I thought to myself...and what a narcissistic individual he was.  Less than 2 hours later, I was sitting on a plane reading an article about Josh Hamilton and his wife's divorce filing; my arrogance turned to sincere sadness.  Yes, I thought again, what a waste.  But my thought was different now, realizing the brokenness that surely hangs over Josh, his wife, and their children.  I realized my own misplaced pride, and the fact that my brokenness is no more or less ugly than his.  We are all broken in different ways.

Addiction is comprised of many factors - moral, spiritual, and physical.  True addiction is absolutely physical, and without ruthless self honesty and a strong support system, lasting recovery can be incredibly difficult to maintain.  For many addicts, true recovery and sobriety is elusive and fleeting for the entirety of their lives.

During the years that Josh Hamilton played for the Rangers before leaving for Los Angeles, he did well and had an amazing support system around him.  I pray that his return here will be a means of recovering that good and healthy place for him, and that perhaps even his family will be included in the redemption.   It would be great to have Josh Hamilton the "player" return to the Rangers outfield; but even more important would be the blessing of seeing God redeem the wasted areas of his life, bringing him back to a healthy place where he is restored physically, morally, relationally, and spiritually.

Nothing is impossible with God, so I hope you'll join me in saying a prayer for Josh and his family too.  They will need the support of believers, and our prayers too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...