Sometimes the clock just whips you...

Some days feel like a vortex. Today was one of those days.  Not a bad day at all. No.  Just a swirl that seemed to go faster and tighter as the day progressed.  I looked at the clock and it was 2:15. The next time I had any awareness of time, I had missed a scheduled call at 3:30.

Jumped on the phone to re-initiate the call, and the next thing I knew, it was past 5 o'clock.  Heads down in an attorney's redline of a Lease, it was suddenly 6:30.  Suffice to say, the time got away from me, and I didn't come close to finishing everything I had promised to various people before I left the office.  Finishing up those items comes next, after I take these few moments to process a few things.

During the month of August, my church has been focused on a 21-day prayer challenge. We do this every August, which I think is a spectacular way to lead up to the beginning of the school year.  I don't have kids in school, but the seasonality of the school year is pretty well hardwired into all of us, isn't it?  Who among us doesn't warm to the appearance of school supplies in the local grocery store or Walmart?  Don't you want to sneak over and buy some crayons, even if you don't have kids?

Anyway, we need markers at different times and seasons of the year.  They serve as a sort of tether, a way to be grounded to the ebb and flow of life from one phase of life to the next.  During these last few weeks, I've been spending time reading in Ephesians, and my all time favorite, Proverbs.  How to navigate through crazy times in the world, and at work?

Two keys, I think, help to unlock this common but very real dilemma:
1. Turn off the noise every night...TV, radio, cell phone, computer...all of it: OFF
2. Live in quiet for at least 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed.
3. Scripture reading every night.

I'm guessing I might get some "buy in" on #s 1 and 2, and a little shuffling and averting of the eyes on #3.

Let me confess something here: I am by no means consistent like I want to be, or need to be, on  #1, #2, or even #3.  There. I've said it.  I am inconsistent.  Inconsistency is actually a lifetime nemesis of mine, but if we let inconsistency keep us from putting forth the effort, we miss the point of personal growth, don't we?

This morning I read chapter 13 in the book of Proverbs, even though I usually read in order of the days...truth be told, the fan in my room blew the pages when I left my Bible laying on the ottoman, and it fell to this page. Have I mentioned how I adore reading Proverbs?  You just cannot beat it for every day wisdom. E-V-E-R-Y day there is something in Proverbs to keep you grounded, centered, calmed, and wiser than you were the day before.

In chapter 13, this verse caught my eye: A man's riches may ransom his life, but a poor man hears no threat.

Isn't that something? {{wry smile}}

Let me take it out of Biblio-speak...

Having a lot of money can buy you out of some incredible problems (kidnapping >>>ransom), but when you don't have much money, you probably won't deal with being kidnapped.

It's true, when you have more resources to steward, the stewardship gets more complicated, and more difficult.  The whirlwind gets bigger, and moves faster, at least when it comes to managing those resources. In a world where the poorest of Americans are rich by the world's standards, I want to mention that everything is relative. What may be a lot of money for me is nothing to someone else, and what may be poor in America is rich in most places around the world. The point is not the money, but the increased complexity (and risk) that comes with increased resources and responsibility.

What then? More quiet is necessary. And more wisdom.  And from where does wisdom come?

Start with Proverbs.
The Proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:
for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;
for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;
for giving prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young--
let the wise hear and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance--

I hope this encouraged you. Somewhere out there. Whoever you might be.  It encouraged me to stop long enough to share it. And to share why Proverbs is so wonderful to me. Life giving. Life changing. Wisdom. Insight. A source of grounding in the midst of a whirlwind.

+Peace





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...