Lost in a blizzard with no rope...



I noticed in the daily readings a couple of references to the fact that when we die, we can't take our belongings with us, and the message resonated. In the past few days, and again this morning, my boss has suggested that I consider applying for a higher level position within our organization...the position doesn't matter so much as the lessons that might be learned from the conversation going on in my mind...

When someone suggests to me that I might be well-suited for a higher position in the company, I am flattered, of course. The ego boost is not lost on me...at all. On the other hand, I find myself wrestling with questions of real importance...like, "What do I really want in a job?" And perhaps more important still, "What am I willing to give of myself to a job?" The job I have today is an excellent job...and in many respects, for me...an easy job. In recent months I have been intentionally focused on the fact that I am happy in this job...content in this job...and, I am grateful for this job. Would I chase a different job because of title and money...when, in truth, I am content with the job I have?

As I rode in the elevator this morning, the word that kept coming to mind was contentment. I thought of the passage in Paul's letter to Timothy, where he talks about contentment, and the love of money, and how to keep it all in balance. Here's what Paul says:

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. If we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction."

There is nothing wrong with being promoted, or even with making more money, per se. I think the more important question for each of us is this: Why are are we doing what we're doing? What is at the heart of our choices...about work, about money, about priorities and how we spend our precious time?

I'm no role-model where this topic is concerned, but I am one who needs to be reminded about perspective, and contentment. Parker Palmer, in his book "A Hidden Wholeness," relates a story about farmers living in the northern plains, where severe blizzards have left people stranded and utterly lost...only yards from their home. The story illustrates what can happen to us when we lose our bearings, and can no longer find our way home with our physical eyes. In those moments, we need a spiritual perspective...internal eyes that help us to see rightly, even when our external circumstances go a little bit crazy...

During the Christmas season, our external circumstances can definitely go a little crazy...there is an almost unavoidable emphasis on spending money and buying things...and sometimes contentment can be lost among the boxes and bows. The most important things about the holiday season can't be bought or sold, however; so perhaps the greater wisdom is to simply enjoy all of it, however much or little you might give or receive...and be content with what you have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

Undertow