Follow your joy...



Am I the only one who buys stuff for myself while Christmas shopping for others??? No? Good...I didn't think so! I bought a small book during my 'last minute' shopping trip...a devotional of sorts, but specifically for runners. And...as you know...even though I am very, very slow...I am a runner!

I wasn't exactly sure what this book of inspiration might contain, and to be honest, I was probably expecting a scripture verse for the day, and then a devotional thought that linked the scripture to running...not so. There is an inspirational quote for each day, but so far, no scripture. I've started at the end of the book, since it works through the calendar year, and we're in the last week of December, but this morning I thought it would be good to read the introduction and the preface...and I found this quote:

"For longtime runners, novices...joggers...walkers...it's all the same. If you're enjoying yourself, you're going to do it. Enjoyment fuels desire. Follow your joy, and you will be just fine."

I realize the audience and context for the quote is runners and running, but the application of the principle to our entire life was unmistakable for me.

How can you not love this quote? If we are honest with ourselves...we would have to acknowledge that we choose to do that which we enjoy doing. I understand about jobs and chores, and the reality of certain things that must get done each day...but at the same time, I think we're wise to reflect on how we choose to spend our free time...who we choose to spend our time with, and what we do during that time....because in the end, we do exactly what we want to do, what we enjoy doing.

And how about this sage advice? "Follow your joy, and you will be just fine."

What a profoundly simple way to understand life. It reminds me of that saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small stuff)..." If we know our joy, and we follow it, all the rest will take care of itself.

The challenge, perhaps...is to figure out what it is that brings joy. Do you know what brings you joy?

I think it's a good question to ponder for the next day or so, because if you can name the persons, places, and activities which bring you the most joy, you will be well on your way to knowing how to spend your time in the new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

Undertow