The Transformative Power of Gratitude



I saw a quote today that was so powerful, I felt compelled to blog about it! It must be something special, because I notice that I haven't posted anything since July of last year...


"Gratitude turns whatever we have into enough."


I'm reminded of stories told of people in third world countries...people who sometimes live in shacks, or worse...have no plumbing or running water, scarce amounts of food, and only the clothes on their back to wear...


And yet...and YET...these folks are repeatedly described as happy, content, anxious to share what little resources they possess.


We who live in America, most of us...I would argue ALL of us who might read this blog, have so much wealth...way beyond plenty to meet our needs as well as our wants. But is it enough for us?


When you wake up each morning, are you overwhelmed with the sheer wonder of how blessed you are? Do you have a roof over your head? Family and friends to love you? Food and drink to satisfy your needs? Clothes and shoes to fit every type of weather and passing fancy?


I must confess...I do not routinely wake up and start my day with this kind of awareness. Would that I did. It's something I want to focus on, beginning today. This quote needs to sit on my desk, beside my bed, on the mirror in my bathroom, and on my refrigerator door.


Gratitude may be one of the most powerful things in the world...because however much or little you may have, gratitude will turn it into enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...