Is Your Shopping Done Yet?

Have you finished your Christmas shopping yet?

I have done some shopping...some in the stores and some online, but I'm not nearly finished.  This weekend is my time...time to focus on shopping, and on wrapping the gifts I purchase.

Every family is unique, and we all have our different traditions each year.  In our family, it has always been a challenge to decide whether we "purchase something for everyone," or draw names.  When my Mom was still with us, this debate was cause for much angst for her.  She never wanted anyone to limit her ability to give gifts to everyone she wanted to include, and yet she didn't want to break the group rules about gift limitations.  This year she would be pleased, because we have decided to forego the name drawing approach and give each other modest gifts.

As I have pondered my options this past week, I've learned an important lesson about gift giving.  We must be more selective this year, because our modest budget requires it...and yet we must also be more thoughtful about what we choose.  I'm reminded of that saying, 'less is more,' and I believe it can be very true if we're willing to commit ourselves to thoughtfulness above extravagance.

What gift can I offer to my family members, most of whom could purchase anything they truly need or want for themselves?  We are not a needy family, but a blessed one.   It is my joyful task this year to shop for a small item that says, "I know you...I know the things you enjoy...the little things that make you smile."  I want to choose a gift that says, "I love you and care about what you love."

Gifts like this do not require much money...sometimes no money at all, and yet they have the power to bring great joy to the receiver.

I hope when you shop for your family this year, you'll shop for the little things that bring a smile and a sense of love and intimacy.  There is a sweetness about choosing gifts for those we love, if we let it be so, and if we step away from the craziness that can become the Christmas shopping experience.

I pray for you this year a sense of simplicity and modesty...for little gifts that speak volumes about how much you love the people closest to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...