The Problem

I had this idea that all of my blogs during Advent would be happy...full of holiday thoughts and pictures.  But then I turn on the TV and see images of protesters in Missouri, in Dallas, in New York City, and I realize that all is not eggnog and holiday trimmings.  There are people all around us who are broken, angry, and depressed.

We have a problem, we humans do.  In a way, we could all march in the streets with a personalized protest sign.  What would your protest sign say?

My husband left me?  My mom died too soon? My kids don't respect me? My boss doesn't pay me enough? My wife expects too much of me? I hate the holiday season?  Yes...we all have a gripe, and we have all been hurt and wronged in one way or the other.

Why can't everyone just be nice, and loving? Why do people steal, and kill? Why do husbands and wives and kids and siblings hurt one another?   Why, as the famous saying goes, do bad things happen to good people?

Here's something I've noticed...we have this tendency to see ourselves as the "good people."  When bad things happen, we have this very human tendency to see ourselves as the victim, the one that was wronged.  We rarely perceive that we may be the one doing wrong to another. Amazingly, we also have a very human tendency to rationalize our behavior in order to feel good about ourselves.

As we await the coming of Jesus and the Christmas celebration of His birth, I pose to you this question:

What does God say about our human condition?  Does He see me as "good" and you as "bad"?   No, He doesn't see us that way at all.  Do you see yourself as always being on God's side, or is it possible that your heart is not so pure as you'd like to imagine?  Is it possible...maybe, that you are living a life separate from God, and you need something, or someone, to show you the way to connect your life with the Father?

Advent is not a random event on the calendar of the Christian church.  Jesus is coming because we need Him to come.  The scripture says it this way, "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God."   As far as God is concerned, we are all the same.  We are equally broken, equally in need of help. His help.

I have always referred to this passage as "Same Boat Theology."  If you think for even a moment  that you are more righteous than anyone...anyone at all...you should refer back to Same Boat Theology to get your perspective back in order.

Jesus is coming because He knows that everyone...every single human being that has ever lived, lives now, or ever will live...needs Him.  Needs a way to be in relationship with the Father. To be at peace.  Jesus is that way to the Father.  We will never get satisfaction for all of our individual gripes in this life.  Our ultimate joy and hope is found only in relationship with God, and Jesus is the way.  I understand that to say this is politically incorrect.  I understand that we live in a time when talking about Christmas at all is forbidden in certain stores and businesses, but more and more I know that the most important thing in my life I can ever share is the love of Jesus.  And so, unpopular or not, I say tonight, Jesus is real.  Jesus is the Son of God. He is the promised one, the Messiah, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Jesus is in all, above all, over all and He is my all in all.

Yes, we have a problem alright...all of us have exactly the same problem, and that problem is called sin.  Sin breaks us, divides us, and sin will ultimately kill us.   But the Good News is that Advent is upon us, and Advent means Jesus is coming...He is coming for me, and He is coming for you.  In Jesus, we find life.  In Jesus, we find freedom from sin, brokenness and the disappointment that is so often part of our human experience.  Jesus. He is the solution to our problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

Undertow