The Miracle

What is the Christmas miracle?  Why do people, even those who don't normally attend church, attend the candlelight Christmas Eve service? Is it only out of obligation, or is there something to how they feel when Silent Night is sung by candlelight at the end?

In the first Advent sermon at my church, we learned a few things about Mary that helped me better understand the Christmas miracle.   I give credit to my wonderful pastor, Kalyn Brassfield, for the majority of these thoughts, because what I share comes directly from his sermon from the first chapter of the Gospel of Luke.  In case the Bible is unfamiliar to you, Luke is one of the Gospels, and is found in the New Testament section of the Christian Bible.

As Luke tells the story, an angel appeared to a young virgin, Mary, to announce to her that she was to bear a child, even though she has never been with a man.  Something we often fail to mention when we tell this story is that Mary was a real person, with a real life.  She was engaged to be married, and such an announcement, even from an angel, would have been a major disruption to her world.

I'm reminded how I don't like my plans to be interrupted, and how I do not appreciate it one bit if someone else tells me how I should life my life.  I mean, its' my life...right?

Among the many miracles that occur with the virgin birth of Jesus is this one: Mary's response to the angel.  In the first chapter of Luke, in verse 38, Mary says this: "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said."

I was struck by her statement, "I am the Lord's servant," because it speaks to a sense of responsibility to do whatever God might ask.  And while I believe this is a powerful statement, Pastor Kalyn pointed to something I found even more powerful, and perhaps, the seed of the biggest miracle for all of us:

"I am the Lord's..."

Jesus came to make us his own.  Do we not all yearn to belong?  If you are happily married, perhaps you have experienced that deep sense of satisfaction that can come from being in a loving and committed relationship.  The Song of Solomon (in the Hebrew Bible, or 'Old Testament') says, "I am my lover's and he is mine."  These feelings of connection and permanence, belonging and safety....all are deep needs of every human heart.  No matter your background, your race, your job, or position in life, all of us share these needs in common.

But let's not assume that all of us have realized or yet come to experience this level of intimacy in relationship to God.  Jesus came to call us to Himself, to make a way into intimate relationship with God the Father...and yet...He does not force this intimacy upon us. 

If you never have before, this Christmas season is the season to say in response to God, "I want to be yours; I give my heart to you."  Because of the miraculous child born to a virgin girl in Bethlehem...because He lived perfectly, died willingly, and triumphed over physical death spectacularly and permanently, the moment you give yourself to God, the Christmas miracle will happen for you; and you will be the Lord's.  The Scripture tells us that at that very moment, the angels of heaven will rejoice to welcome you into the family of God...you who are one of His beloved and favored ones.

This Christmas Season, for me...the miracle is this:  I am the Lord's.

Do you belong to Him this Christmas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...