And now, a brief Intermission....


It's time for a short break...these few days after the Christmas season and before the "back to normal" that comes upon us in January.  We have a rare opportunity for a life intermission...

A period during which action temporarily ceases; an interval between periods of action or activity.

Some years ago, I learned a very important principle from a very good teacher and spiritual director...the principle of intentionality.  It is very easy, and very hazardous, to go through our lives without intentionality.  We find ourselves tossed here and there by obligations and routines, busy with things to do and people to see, but without thoughtfulness.  Without much thought sometimes, we move from day to day.  The problem is, when we rush through life without any thought of intention, we run the risk of losing touch with our souls,...losing touch with the meaning of why we do what we do.

I find myself guilty of this pattern quite often.  In my work and in my relationships, it is a mundane but invaluable discipline to give thought to what I do, and to who I spend my time with.  What about you?  Is it possible that these next few days could be a time of intermission for you too?   Could you benefit from a short period of time when the action and the activity is paused for a brief few days?

I love the holiday season, and it continues on through these next few day's until we celebrate New Year's Eve...but at the same time, I am truly grateful for this short interval every year.  The intermission between the busiest time of the year and the beginning of the new year is such an important space for quiet.

Now is the time to rest a little...read a little...look back on 2014 and reflect a little.    When I think about 2014, it seems like an impossibly large amount of life to reflect upon...victories won and mistakes made.  It was a year of tremendous change, much of which, I admit, was very unintentional.   I have many things to pray about and consider as I look forward to 2015.   Yes, I think we all need an intermission right about now.  Time for a break, and then in just a few more days, the show will go on, and we'll be caught up in the whirlwind of 2015!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...