Make up your mind not to worry...beforehand...



There are days when I don't have much to write about, or at least, so it seems. I could write about the fact that it's a spectacularly sunny day...albeit, very cold. The cold, dreary, rainy weather of the last week or two had really become depressing to me, so I'm reminded again of how much I treasure sunshine and warmth. I am a southern girl, at heart.

I'm babysitting this weekend, or as my protege' would say, "tween-sitting." She is 11 years old, and would have you know that she will turn 12 this year (in September, to be precise). I've been babysitting since I was 13 years old, and I suppose I was meant for this role...as opposed to the motherhood role.

I was reading a passage this morning in the Gospel of Luke. In it, Jesus is talking to his close followers about the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, and about the persecution they will face from those who are not believers. Tucked in the middle of his admonition is a sentence that caught my attention...

"But make up your mind not to worry beforehand..."

I've written quite often about the importance of our thinking, and how our thoughts determine how we live. It strikes me that we have the capacity to make up our mind not to worry. How does that work for you? Generally speaking, I'd say that I don't manage my tendency to worry very well.

If I wrote this quote on a piece of paper and taped it to my bathroom mirror...that might help. Every morning as I get ready for the day, I will be reminded about my ability to make up my mind. I'm willing to try it...to give it my best shot, and see how it works. After all, today is Saturday, and the sun is shining...it's probably a good day to try something new.

I don't know what will come along during the course of the day, but just for this one Saturday, I'll make up my mind not to worry beforehand...knowing that whatever comes, God will have provided a way through...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...