Stop long enough to fix it...



It's raining this morning...a cold, hard rain that the weatherman tells us will turn to snow at any moment...I am skeptical about the snow, since it still registers as 39 degrees outside, and it would take quite a precipitous drop in order to bring on snow...but the weatherman tells us this rain has the capacity to change to snow, so we'll see what happens...

My name is Susie...and I'm a food addict. Have I shared this charming fact about myself before? Perhaps I have...but I can't recall. Yesterday was an example of a bad food day for me...I started out well, and then began sliding downhill about 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Over the past 5 months, I have continued to run, work-out with a trainer, and participate in a community of people who are supportive of a healthy lifestyle, but the struggle with my food addiction seems to be a lifelong companion. Until the holiday season, I had logged 3 months of healthy eating and consistent fitness habits...trying to re-establish those healthy patterns as we wrap-up the holidays and enter a new year has been very difficult.

The other day, a guy said to me, "it's hard to break habits..." Yes...it is. Though I must tell you, I find it easier to break good habits than it is to break bad habits! Why is that? Something about that doesn't seem quite fair, does it?

Today's inspirational passage for runners includes a quote from Confucius:


"A person who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake."


When I read this, I thought about the mechanics of a golf swing. I don't play much golf now, but I learned to play when I was a young kid, and I remember being told of the importance of practicing well. If you have bad mechanics, or technique, and continue to practice those bad mechanics, you'll only worsen the problem. The same is true of life...if you have bad technique in your work, in your relationships, in your finances, or in your health habits...you need to stop long enough to diagnose the problem, and fix it...otherwise, you simply add to the mistakes and compound the problem.


Do not continue down a path that is not giving you the results that you want. We do have the capacity for change, though the process of change is often difficult, and can sometimes take a lifetime...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...