Bird by bird...


I'm reading a book on the subject of writing...Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. I love her writing style...it is honest, helpful, and at times, hilarious.

She tells the story of a time when her brother, 10 years old at the time, was overwhelmed with the prospect of writing a book report on the subject of birds...her father, in order to help the young boy get started on the project, told him to take it "bird by bird." If he was at a 12-Step Meeting, he might have just as easily said Easy Does It, or One Day at a Time.

Yesterday I called the Water Department in the city where I live, and asked them to come inspect the pipes that connect my house to the city lines. I'm sad to report that there is a broken pipe, but it's not the city's pipe.

I find the idea that I have to replace the lines that connect my house to the city pipes somewhat overwhelming...and I'm struck by the fact that something so basic as plumbing can disrupt your whole world! It was probably fortunate for me that I had to leave town yesterday afternoon for a business trip, because you can't really function in your own home if the plumbing doesn't work.

This trip bought me a little bit of time before the "book report" is due, and I have to engage the plumbers who will dig up my yard and replace the broken pipe. In the meantime, I'm reading this book, and it reminds me to take everything bird by bird.

Comments

  1. I thought you would want to know that a coworker told me, not 5 minutes ago, how much she appreciates your blog. She has been reading it all of Dec. and still reads it daily. I thought you should know :>)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...