When to let go...



I had two slogans in mind when I sat down to write this morning: Let it Begin with Me, and Expect a Miracle.


As I thought about both, I was struck by the fact that the ideas are somewhat at odds with one another...I mean, isn't a miracle something that's supernatural, beyond our control or power to influence? And "Let it Begin with Me," on the surface, suggests that I am the one with the power.


I don't know if the trapeze artists will pull the two ideas together for anyone but me, but the picture helped me to make sense of things...this process of letting go and trusting the miracle, while at the same time focusing on the part that remains within our control to influence.


If you look at the picture, you'll notice that it's difficult to discern which of the artists is going to "let go" and trust their partner on the receiving end...and yet, someone has to let go. The one who lets go must trust the other. If I'm not mistaken, the process requires that the "flyer" be caught...they must, in a sense, override their natural instinct to grab onto safety, and be passive.


But passivity isn't the whole story...the "flyer" has to take action to initiate the exchange...if they don't actively release the bar and take flight, nothing happens on the other side. And so, "Let it begin with me" makes sense after all.


Kind of a conundrum really...and if there's no safety net in place, it's a long fall. It begs the question then, how does the tension of the two ideas reflect our spiritual journey? Are you in flight? Hanging onto the bar? Trusting God to catch you on the other side?


Expect a Miracle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...