Splinters and pearls...part 2



Well, before I had even had a chance to read anything inspirational for the day, I already had a relational "splinter" in the palm of my hand. It can be a gift and a curse to try and write about life and life's lessons, especially when my own experience reveals how far I have to travel on the road to maturity.


I won't belabor the details of my splinter, because the truth is, the splinter could have been anything that I found unpleasant or painful...or, anything that you find to be unpleasant or painful.


Here's the important thing: what am I going to do with the splinter? Will I rush to cover it up, avoid its presence, or otherwise miss it's available gifts?


Or...will I take to heart the lessons of the pearl, and actively seek that which could become beautiful as a result of its presence? I suppose this is an opportunity to test that which I say I believe...that I have the ability to choose how I respond to every circumstance of life, and to determine whether I will choose to be happy today, regardless of circumstances that are not my first choice.


I remember too, that I don't have to make a choice for any other day except today...I'm free to choose a different path tomorrow, if I want to. So, for today...I'll choose to be happy, to anticipate a good day, and to trust that the splinter in my oyster shell will ultimately yield a pearl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...