Summer of Love


I have a friend who pastors a church in Little Elm, Texas. His name is Brad Sutton, and though I see him rarely, and we're not particularly close, something about his ministry has always resonated with me. We're 'friends' on Facebook, so I noticed Saturday night that he was beginning a new sermon series yesterday, entitled "Summer of Love." As is Brad's way, he had a terrific and fun graphic to illustrate the series...a psychedelic (spelling?) VW bus, circa 1970, reminiscent of Woodstock and others things "Summer of Love"-ish. The wildly colored bus made me laugh, because it is so Brad, but it also piqued my interest in the sermon content, which was his aim.

As it so happens, a friend of mine attends Brad's church, and had written this one quote from his sermon on her bulletin:
"In Christ we surrender our right to withhold love."
I haven't been able to get this quote out of my mind. If you're anything like me, you have people in your life, at home, at work...somewhere, who you find very difficult to love. I wish I had something truly profound to add to the statement, as if I had any deep grasp on the truth of it. I do not. I struggle with it...daily...and because I struggle with it, I'm guessing that you do too...with someone, somewhere in your world. When we next sit still and listen for God's voice, let's ask him to help us with this one. Who do you find difficult to love? If Brad was correct in his sermon yesterday, and I think he was, we'll have to love differently, and without reservation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...