Ode to a missing pool table...

One year ago, I came home to find that my pool table had been moved...not to worry though, it was a planned event, not the scene of a crime...in the space that the pool table had once held, there was an enormous empty space. It will tell you more about me than I probably want to reveal, but I had a very hard time with the empty space, even though I had chosen to sell the table, have it dismantled, and moved away...

For most people, the removal of a pool table would hardly represent a blip on the radar of their emotional life, but as I said, there are things about me, and the nature of how I experience life, that are just a little bit weird...like developing emotional attachments to pool tables...

Ultimately, I realized that I was not attached to the pool table, but to what the pool table had come to represent...and to be completely truthful, I had allowed it to fill space in a part of me that pool tables were never meant to fill. I was fortunate at the time to have some very wise friends, and their counsel to me was to welcome the empty space...and to look for what God might bring to fill it. I thought I had this idea all figured out in recent months, and that I had most certainly discovered what God wanted to bring into that space...I know now that I was incorrect, and that God still has other plans for the empty spot in the living room...I just don't know what His plans are...

For now, I can simply say this, I did learn something from the missing pool table, and I think that just maybe, I can bring those lessons to bear on what's happening today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...