Bridge Out Ahead

I used to have this recurring vision of my life that involved walking across a suspension bridge...while on the bridge, the cables snap and I'm thrown against the opposing side wall of a deep ravine...hanging there from the bridge, I find that I have no way forward or back.


From my vantage point here at the end of the rope, I can say that this vision has come to life for me in recent days...I cannot see the way forward, and I know for certain that there is no way back.

If life worked like the sign here, we might know 10 miles ahead when the bridge underneath our feet was going to give way, but life rarely gives us advance notice about such things, so we must be quick on our feet. I saw an article online today about a woman who is recovering from a stab wound...she is paralyzed from the waist down after having been stabbed by a mentally ill man. The stabbing occurred while she was playing with her two small children at a local park. From what I've heard about the lady, she has been a model of resilience and positivity...needless to say, her story reminds me that my state of affairs is nothing even approaching what she is dealing with today, and that probably, I should get a grip and get over it. The thing is, grief is no respecter of persons, or even of the reason for our grief...if grief comes to your life, whatever it's cause for being, it is painful. I keep reading and walking, and talking with friends...and doing all I know to do to try and make the pain go away...and yet it just stays here...my unwelcome companion all through the day and night.

Something I read earlier this week said that pain is a healthy sign...a sign that we're alive...an indicator of healing in progress...we should welcome pain...

Welcome, welcome, welcome...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...