May 8, 1951


My parents' wedding day...my Grandfather's 45th birthday...until now, I don't think I ever realized how old my Grandfather was when my Mom got married...
I have always found their story interesting...this picture was taken in the gravel driveway outside my Grandparents' farm home in Mississippi. My Mom and Dad came by the house to let her parents know that they were on their way to get married...my Grandfather came in briefly from his work on the farm to wish the couple well...and then went back to work. Presumably, my Grandmother went back to her work for the day...around the house, in the garden...whatever it might have been. My uncle, my Mom's only sibling, was 10 years old.
After leaving the farm, my parents drove to the home of the Methodist preacher, who married them in his living room, with his wife as the only witness. My Mom was 18 years old, my Father, 19. They are married today, 59 years later...having weathered what I consider to be a pretty challenging life as a married couple. There are many things I could say about both of my parents, some complimentary...some not...but one thing that I will always appreciate, and respect in both of them...their commitment to one another, through good times and bad...really bad...to stay together no matter what. I certainly realize that there are good reasons why marriages end...and I'm not making an argument that people who stay together are somehow bettter than anyone else...but I think that this kind of unwavering commitment is an amazing and extremely rare thing these days, and we should celebrate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...