The Beauty and the Blessings of a good and beautiful God...




Today we go to the World Series! What an incredibly exciting day - I am so grateful for the opportunity to share this once in a lifetime experience with 2 friends who share my lifelong love for baseball!

Proverbs 30 is attributed to Agur, son of Jakeh...not a name that I'm familiar with at all, so you probably won't know him either...it's interesting to me only because we most often attribute the Proverbs to Solomon, and it appears that he wrote only a portion of the Proverbs, and not all of them. The theme of the verses I've chosen for today's reflection is the greatness of God --

"Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name and the name of his son? Tell me if you know! Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

A few things come to mind as I read this -- the immensity, beauty and syncrenicity of creation is one of the most powerful arguments for the existence of an all-powerful and creative God. I realize more each day how very much my worship of God, and trust in him is enhanced by my exposure to his creation...and by that, I mean being out in it...every day, if possible.

Tonight I will experience a personal dream since childhood, and will attend Game 3 of the World Series between the Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants. I can honestly say that one of the best things about the experience will be the "outdoor" experience. Baseball fields are a beautiful thing...the grass, the perfectly groomed infield dirt, the precision white lines that mark the foul lines and batters boxes. The symmetry of baseball has always captured my imagination...from childhood until now, I am always overwhelmed with the beauty of the field when I first walk into the ballpark. Today is a spectacularly beautiful day...a brilliant and clear blue sky, a slight breeze, and weather just cool enough to let you know that summer has passed, and fall is firmly with us.

My prayer today is that I will live in the moment, savor the beauty of the day, and drink in every blessing that has come my way...and I pray that I will always remain keenly aware that both the beauty and the blessings come directly from the hands of a good and loving God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...