What to do when you've messed up!





When I was starting out in my career, I remember having a very hard time admitting to making any mistakes at work...thinking back on it, I suppose I had a hard time making mistakes anywhere in my life, but the work situation happens to be the area that came to mind as I read Proverbs 28 this evening.

Depending on how you might look at a situation, I probably would have come across to you as an angry and arrogant know-it-all. Without making any attempt to whitewash the reality of my issues with anger and arrogance, I would tell you that appearances can be very deceiving....and though arrogance appeared to be the root of my obstinance and unteachability in my late 20's, the true root of my bad behavior was fear. I carried with me a deep and abiding fear that mistakes of any kind, if found out, would mean rejection, and most likely, the loss of my job. As a result of my insecurity and immaturity, I invested huge sums of energy to hide any and all mistakes...and really, to put on a "know-it-all" front.

The verse from Proverbs 28 says this:
"He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

I am not equating workplace mistakes with sin, per se...but am simply using the analogy to point out how common it is, for all of us, to hide our imperfections...misdeeds...mistakes, and yes, even our sins.

As I grew in my career and took on more responsibility, the pressue to "conceal" what I didn't know, and to hide my mistakes, became even more intense. My fear of being found out grew in proportion to what I perceived to be my potential for loss...with respect to both position and reputation. During these years, I began seeing a counselor to work on various life issues...and as a part of my work with this therapist, I began to address the issues that seemed to influence my inability to admit my mistakes and shortcomings. Gradually, over a period of years, I began to experiment with the idea of admitting my mistakes....acknowledging imperfections...confessing missed deadlines, errors, and even the outright failure to do something I had been tasked to do.

This may seem a trite story, but I have a hunch that I'm not the only person who struggles with this issue, and I think it's a good thing to be reminded of what the Proverb says today. It has been almost 20 years since I first began to practice the principle of admitting my mistakes (the sooner, the better)...and I can report that with only the rarest of exceptions, I have always received grace, mercy and understanding as the reward for my honest disclosures. I have worked in organizations that were run by Christians, and those that were decidedly not run by Christians, and when it came to the application of this principle, it mattered not whether the boss as a Christian, or the co-workers or clients were Christians...the principle is relevant and reliable, regardless of the situation and people that surround you....

When we hide our shortcomings and mistakes, we miss the opportunity to learn, to be offered grace...and to prosper, as the Proverb says. If we acknowledge and admit our mistakes, more often than not, we will receive mercy and understanding.

Is there a weakness or a failing that you feel the need to hide today? Is there something in your life or work that you fear having exposed? Don't spend your precious time and energy hiding...don't allow the fear of being known as imperfect keep you from learning all you can learn, and from being known in the way that we all long to be known. Peel back the layers...and take the chance that when people know the real you, you'll receive more grace and support than you could ever have imagined!

Today's picture was taken from the backyard of the lakehouse where I stayed last night and this morning...it doesn't relate to today's blog, except for the fact that I failed to post my Proverbs 28 entry on October 28, and I'm letting you know where I was! We had no access to the internet at the lakehouse, and because I failed to plan ahead and write my blog early in the day, I missed the daily deadline! And that, my friends, is how I admit when I've messed up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...