Red door, blue door...




I can't decide...about the red door or the blue door...or about much of anything else these days. I have heard quite a lot of teaching over the last two years on the subject of dualistic thinking...also known as "black and white" thinking...



In contemplative teaching and thought, dualistic thinking is discouraged, and we are encouraged to recognize that situations are usually more about "both/and" than they are "either/or." Recently, I find myself struggling with the issue, and the idea that everything belongs, and in a sense, that every line of thinking is equally valid. In evangelistic thought, this approach to life and theology would be labeled relativism, and would be seen as a bad thing. As someone coming from an evangelistic background, I find myself ever more confused by what to believe, or not believe...and whether it really matters much, either way. If everything is equally valid, what it the point of any belief system at all? More to the point, what is the point of theology...or Christology? Does it matter? How do our beliefs inform our choices in life? Do they?


A few months ago I spent the day with my sister-in-law. We were touring various assisting living centers, and had lots of time to talk. One of our subjects was church...and religion. She asked the question, "How do you know what to believe?" Behind the question was a struggle about where to go to church, or whether it matters to go to church. There have been many times when I have wondered why people go to church. I think it's possible that people go to church for a myriad of reasons...some for social interaction, others enjoy the music...others go because of their need to be "seen as" good people, or to network for business. I happen to enjoy music at church, but I realize that many people don't care at all for the music, and the singing part of a church service is miserable to those people.


But why do I really go to church...and why do I choose the church that I choose? I can't seem to make up my mind about any of it lately, and this is of great concern to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...