Hot dogs, fireworks and a good sunburn...

These are some of my high aspirations for the 4th of July weekend...the picture at left is an actual photo taken at KaBoom Town, the annual fireworks event that occurs in Addison, Texas every July 3rd.

Recently, I've taken a job with a company whose offices overlook the KaBoom Town site, so I'll have front row seats to the big show.

I have some melancholy as I head into the weekend, all my best intentions to be cheerful notwithstanding. I have the feeling of the lost tooth that your tongue keeps trying to find...a wonderful description of melancholy that comes from the movie Because of Winn Dixie. As much as I can find moments of enjoyment and gratefulness each day, there is still a hole...and there's something about being human that makes me keep noticing the hole...like when you have a mouth full of teeth, except for the one that's missing...and your tongue keeps going back to the empty spot. I wish I could make myself focus on all the "teeth" that are present, rather than the one that is missing...but eventually, I guess, that will come.

Until then, I'll keep reading the words to hymns, and try to stay busy with hot dogs and fireworks and swimming...happy 4th of July to you...hope your celebration is blessed by happiness in being with the people you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...