Gratitude


Today is a day for gratitude. After a long and tiring day yesterday, I was not at my mental best, and accidentally gave my 16 lb dog an Ambien...a hypnotic sleep aid that is definitely meant for adult humans, and not for dogs. The instant I gave it to her, I realized my mistake...but it was too late. I wasn't sure what to do, and had taken Ambien myself, so drowsiness was already upon me...I noticed that rather than becoming sleepy, Amy became more agitated and restless...and ultimately, she threw up. At that point I called the 24-hour animal emergency clinic...they directed me to call Poison Control for Animals. Did you know there is a Poison Control center for animals?? I didn't. I was told that there is a charge for calling poison control, but I didn't care about that...when I got the woman on the phone and told her my story, she said, "take your dog to the ER, right now." I asked about how I needed to pay for their charge, and she said, "I'm not going to charge you, just take your dog to the ER."

Frightened that I had done something that would kill or permanently disable my precious friend, I grabbed her and rushed to the emergency room. I guess I expected them to say that everything was going to be fine, and that coming to the ER was just a precaution...so when the vet said "we'll start an IV of medication and fluids and keep her overnight," I was a little shocked.

Gratefully, the medicine worked, and my dog is safely home tonight. I will be much more careful about my medicines from now on! Tomorrow is my first day going back to work since Monday of last week. I am grateful for the love of family and friends, and for an employer who has been incredibly gracious to me during these last few weeks. And most of all, I am grateful that even in grief, I have peace and I have hope.

We do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. -1 Thess 4:13-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...