The thing about life...


...is that it goes on. This morning at 10 a.m., family and friends joined to remember and celebrate my Mom's life. By today's standards, Mom didn't have the longest of lives...only 77 years...and yet, she lived her life with elegance and grace until the very end. Her doctors, nurses and caregivers, to a person, always commented on the fact that my Mom was one of the sweetest patients they had ever cared for...that she never complained, and rarely even expressed her displeasure by a frown or unhappy facial expression. Sometimes, this aspect of her nature was a source of struggle for the two of us, because I am not like her in this respect...I am usually too vocal, and too quick to express my discomfort or displeasure. Now that Mom has left me her legacy, I pray that I will grow into the elegant and graceful woman of God she modeled for me these last 49 years.


I noticed today that life goes one...flags continue to flutter in the wind, birds continue to sing, the sun continues to shine, and today is the first day of school for millions of kids all over the world. I find some comfort in the fact that life goes on, because it reminds me that I'm not in control, I'm not in charge, and I am not responsible for the world. I suppose it's laughable that I would even say such a thing, but maybe you're not the kind of person who "takes the weight on the world on your shoulders," even when you have no business doing so.


I sent a note to my college roommate and one of my dearest friends, letting her know about my Mom's passing. I got a note from her this evening, sending her love and condolences, and letting me know that her father also passed away last week. The irony was breathtaking...we walk our life's journey alone, but together with others...and it is important to remember that while we grieve, many others are grieving all around us - perhaps not grieving a death in the family, but carrying their own burdens. We are more alike than we are different, and knowing this can perhaps help us to extend more grace to everyone, everywhere.


My roommate's son started college today -- attending the same university where his mother and I met and became friends 32 years ago -- life goes on, and is meant to be lived. My Mom's life is going on - perfected in the love of God, full of joy and peace.


Hey Mom - I will be the woman you taught me to be, even if it takes me the rest of my earthly life to live it out...I will keep the promises I made to you on Mother's Day in 1968:
1. I will clean my room.
2. I will take care of my bunny.
3. I will set the table.
4. I will be nice to my friends.
I promise that whenever I play with Ava or Lexi, or anyone else's kids, I'll remember the Mom of my childhood, and all the happy memories of the life you gave us. Like I said the other night, you're the best - the very best Mom in the whole wide world. I love you Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...