A question to ponder...


Last night I was reading The Richest Man in Babylon, by George Clason. If you've never heard of the book, it's a classic...an allegory on the subject of how to wisely handle your finances. Sometimes when I'm reading a book, I stumble upon a statement or question that is totally unexpected in its impact, and last night was such a time.


In this chapter, the story was of a young man who had squandered the money his father entrusted to him to begin his life as a man. As a consequence of his bad choices and seemingly insurmountable debt, the young man ultimately ends up being sold into slavery...


While a slave, the young man has a conversation with the wife of his owner, and relays his tale of woe...how his life has been marred by "ill fortune." In response to his tale, the wife asks this question:


"Have you the soul of a slave or the soul of a free man?"


If you happen to be a Christian, or even if you're simply familiar with the writings of the Apostle Paul, you might notice, like I did, the stunning parallel of the question to Paul's letter to the Romans. In Romans 6, Paul says this: But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.


So fellow Christ-follower, I ask you...Have you the soul of a slave or the soul of a free man?


For me...this morning, the import of the question has to do with the freedom to choose. Slaves have no freedom, but we are not slaves, are we? After reading the story of the young man sold into slavery, I made a list of priorities for my life...things I want to do, things I can do, and things I will do...


One of the things on my list is to raise money for Parkinson's research, and I have joined the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. I'll be writing more about this in the future, but for now, I simply wanted to say that I've joined TEAM FOX, and I've got some work to do.

Comments

  1. I'm reminded of Luther's little book - On Christian Freedom "A Christian is the most free lord of all, and subject to none; a Christian is the most dutiful servant of all, and subject to every one." But Lutherans like to have their cake and eat it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that! It is true of course...we are free, and we are slaves to righteousness..it's that pesky "both...and" thing. :)
    Have a terrific week -
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...