Susie White is now 'on the clock'....


It's football season again, and for the first time in my life, I'm going to play Fantasy Football. For a woman, this might not seem the least bit unusual, but if you knew me very well, you'd know that the chances of my being involved in Fantasy Football would be high...I've been loving football since I was 5 years old...at least, that's as far back as I can remember, and I absolutely do remember. When I was a kid, I remember watching "This Week in the NFL" on Saturday afternoons, with Steve Sabol narrating. I loved the music, the narration, the drama...the steam rising off the heads of players as they stood outside in the cold. It might seem very strange indeed, but as a kid, I found the pageantry of football romantic. It represented winning and losing, and all the drama of competition, and perhaps most of all...overcoming adversity while the clock is ticking down the minutes to the final gun...


As I think about my Fantasy Football group, and the upcoming draft, I'm reminded of the NFL draft, and what the commissioner says as each team comes up to make their draft choice...."the Dallas Cowboys are now on the clock..."


For me, as you well know, if you've been reading this blog, I'm celebrating my Mom's life, and grieving the loss of her presence here on earth...her passing has given me a deep sense of purpose and legacy, because of the woman she was during her earthly life, and the woman that I know she raised me to be. I am, if you will, "on the clock..." She has finished the race, and the baton has been passed to me. My Mom is godly, patient, sensitive, generous, elegant, kind, talented, intelligent, articulate, and funny. This list is by no means a complete description of her, but gives you an idea of the legacy I now hold in my heart...for those of you who know me, and even those who don't, you may feel free to hold me accountable to the standard.


I find deep solace in the fact that our lives can have such purpose, and such a connectedness to those who lived before us...the future is brighter for my having been given such a worthy goal to pursue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...