Each heart knows it own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.


The title for today's entry is from Proverbs 14, verse 10. It is a verse that I think about quite a lot, but until I came across in last night's daily reading, I couldn't have told you where to find it. I believe the message of this proverb is truly wise. I know some folks in a ministry where I'm involved who say something similar, but with a slightly different twist: Spiritual formation is solitary work that cannot be done alone.


The lesson then, is that we need each other, but in the most ultimate sense, each of us must travel our own journey. As much as I may wish to be "in" another person's mind and heart, sharing every one of their joys and sorrows, I will always be outside of their person, and they mine. It reminds me of my Mom's recent passing, one of the moments in life when we are forced to face our "separateness" from one another...when we pass from this life to the next, we cannot take anyone or anything along for the ride...we must leave everything behind, and no one can share the process with us, but can only be present to lend emotional and spiritual support.


Where does this leave us today, in terms of how our actions and choices might be informed and influenced by this Proverb? As I sit here thinking about it, I am reminded that this intensely individual aspect of our life experience calls us to honor and respect one another...to realize that every person must live with their own choices, their own mistakes...we can only be present, as friends, as family, as a lover or spouse...present to love, and present to share what we can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...