I'm talkin' to you!


Today's title is directed at me...not you...so not to worry! Sometimes when I read books, or scripture, or whatever the material, I have the very distinct feeling that the author is speaking directly to me...it can be just a tad uncomfortable, because it typically means that something in my character or behavior is in need of reform.


Such has been the case last night and today...and while I am experiencing some discomfort, it feels good in the end, because I know the message is for my good, and I embrace the "correction" pointed my way!


Last night I read Proverbs 12, in anticipation of today's date being the 12th...to be honest, I didn't get much from it...but it's possible that I was distracted by my dog sitting on top of my Bible in an effort to solicit my undivided attention. Nevertheless, I didn't have too much in the way of notes, and so I moved along to my New Testament reading, which was in Matthew 7. The Matthew passage is a famous one, as scripture passages go...'Ask and you will receive...seek and you will find...knock and the door will be opened to you...'


As I read the well-worn passage again, I saw something a bit different than I've seen before...I don't think this passage is telling us that we'll always receive everything we ask for or seek, or that every door will be opened when we knock...rather, I think the point is that we will ultimately receive, find and gain entry...if we continue in our quest. In a word, I think the passage is more about character than it is about getting things from God...and if you read to the end of this section, I think Jesus affirms this very idea when he says this:


So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


What??? How did we jump from "getting the stuff we ask for" to the Golden Rule?? Is it possible that the message of the Kingdom of God is about our character? This one imperative, according to Jesus, sums up the entire Law of God, and everything the prophets ever taught.


If you look back at the ask, seek, knock section of the passage, you'll see that in the end, Jesus is comparing God's character to the character of man, as relates to how a father responds to his children's requests...then, he admonishes us to treat others the way that we want to be treated.


Words to ponder on a Sunday morning. to be sure. And now, when I look back at Proverbs 12, I notice this phrase: Righteousness is always accompanied by kindness.


So today, when you venture out into the world and rub elbows with other people, remember this:


Do to others what you would have them do to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...