If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...


Last night I sat down for my evening reading and journaling...I had missed Thursday night, and realized how much I missed the rhythm of the daily ritual. It felt good to collect my thoughts, read my daily Proverb(s), and plan my weekend.


So when I awoke this morning, I was the proud owner of a 15-item "TO DO" list. A track, if you will, to keep the train of my life on course this weekend.
Not just any "TO DO" list, mind you, my list contains exotic items like: do laundry, water the plants, pay the bills, load the dishwasher, take out the trash, and clean the bathrooms. Clearly, I am living the life of the rich and famous!


In all seriousness, the presence of a list is both helpful and comforting...helpful because it gives me a tool to know where I need to focus my energy, and comforting because it removes the random nature of what a weekend can sometimes become when we have dozens of things to do, and no plan to do them.


I have a direction in my efforts - I am looking forward to hosting 3 very dear friends in my home tomorrow evening for dinner. The 4 of us have not been together for dinner in more than 3 years, and it will be a special time for us to be together again. I also want to mention that I put things like "go to the gym," and "go to Starbucks to sit and read" on the list...because the weekend should include time for personal rejuvenation. The rewards for finishing the mundane "TO DO" items are great -- a healthy work-out, quiet time for reading and reflection, and precious fellowship with friends.


And finally, a word from our Proverbs chapter for the day, from Proverbs 11, verse 27:


"He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it."


So, I guess it's true after all -- you do find exactly what you're looking for in life. If you're looking for the good in people and situations, you will find it. If you're looking for evil, and for the worst in people and situations, likewise, you will find it.


Add to your "TO DO" list..."Look for the Good in everything"...and you will find it!

Comments

  1. I think your proverb is a good one for today. The events of 9 years ago have brought out the very worst in many people. I am hopeful that by seeking good in people of all faiths and backgrounds we can find goodwill. There will always be evil in the world but we need to remember not to feed it, lest it grow to consume us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Norma! I honestly had not thought about that connection when I wrote this, but it is especially important to make the connection on a day like today. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!