Stay in the Pocket


I read a quote recently on someone's Twitter, so I guess it was a "tweet"...it said something about finding the pocket, and when you find it, stay in it...


If you didn't know much about football, the quote would have no meaning to you, but has stuck with me for several days now, and I think there's an important meaning behind the message. In football, the quarterback is protected (hopefully) by the offensive linemen...they block the defensive players in order to create a "pocket" from which the quarterback can throw the ball, or make a hand-off, or whatever the play calls for...


Jittery quarterbacks, or perhaps just quarterbacks who have a poor group of offensive linemen, are often skittish, and leave the pocket too soon...they don't trust the protection of the pocket, and start scrambling sooner than they should...minimizing their team's chances for success on the play.


In life, we are constantly engaged in a process of dealing with incoming players....challenges, hurts, disappointments, even tragedy...who do you trust to create your "pocket of protection"? If you don't have a pocket, you'll always find yourself on the run, scrambling to avoid pain and loss...never gaining ground in your journey towards a fulfilling and meaningful life. I read Proverbs 28 last night, and the first verse of this chapter is one that has stuck with me for years...it says, The righteous are bold as a lion, but the wicked flee when no one is pursuing.


Interesting visual, isn't it? I'm not sure I do very well at this on a day-to-day basis, but these visual aids remind me that I have a God who is capable of protecting me in the pocket, and that when I'm living well, I need not fear what's coming in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemplative Politics

Strip down, start running...and never quit!

If it's Saturday, then it's a "TO DO" List...